Posted On: September 28th, 2018
Title of the Project: Strengthening democracy in Bhutan through enhancing civil society space, and inspiring active and engaged citizenship.
Location of the project: Dzongkhag – Thimphu, Trashigang, Paro
Name of the applicant: Bhutan Centre for Media & Democracy
Duration of the project: 24 months
Total Cost of the project (in Nu/ EUR): Nu 3,166,212.00
Objectives of the project: To enhance the capacity of Civil Society members and the vulnerable groups (youth with disabilities, nuns and army wives) to be more effective actors in Bhutan’s democracy and development through enhanced leadership, advocacy and networking, and awareness on media, democracy and citizenship respectively.
Target groups/ final beneficiaries:
- The project aims to strengthen the capacity of all CSOs including PBOs that work with women, youth, socially marginalised and vulnerable people. In doing so, the CSOs will be better able to serve the identified groups.
- To conduct civic education that emphasise an understanding of what it means to be a citizen for the socially marginalised and vulnerable groups of people including those with sight and hearing impairments and nuns and women in disadvantaged communities.
- Institutional capacities of CSOs strengthened to function as effective actors in development through reflective dialogues, leadership workshops and advocacy activities.
- Contextually relevant civics curriculum/resources produced and made accessible for vulnerable groups that contribute to their understanding of citizenship and democracy.
- Enhanced understanding of the members of the vulnerable groups on the role of citizens and media in a democracy.
- CSO retreat – strategy building
- CSO leadership workshop
- Advocacy activities to enhance understanding between CSOs and the government.
- Conduct training on democracy and media literacy for CSO members
- Develop civics curricula & resources for vulnerable groups
- Conduct training of trainers (Paro and Khaling Institute, women in disadvantaged communities e.g. women in armed force camp)