Posted On: September 28th, 2018
Title of the Project : Empowering Women &Youth through Waste Entrepreneurship
Location of the project: Thimphu Dzongkhag (Urban poor)
Name of the applicant: Bhutan
Duration of the project: 12 months
Total Cost of the project (in Nu/ ): Nu 1,227,000.00
Objectives of the project: The main objectives of this project are:
- Empower vulnerable women and youth groups by developing their skills to generate additional income and self-employment.
- Reduce plastic waste from going to land fill and save the ground water resources from land fill leachate.
Target groups/ final beneficiaries:
- Four (4) cluster groups will be involved within Thimphu area with a total of 80 economically disadvantage urban women and youth will be engaged.
- More than 200 youth (family members) will be involved in waste manage meant including relevant government agencies and stakeholders will be involved in the project
Estimated results: Expected results;
- Atotal number of 80 unemployed women and youth will be trained in weaving baskets, bags and other products out of plastic waste.
- During the entire training program, a total of 890 kgs of plastic waste will be used for training purpose and saving from going to landfill. As per the records, to weave shopping basket it requires 110 milk powder empty packets, which his equivalent to 1kg.
- More than 400 family members will be educated on waste management i. 80 skilled women and youth’s family members
- In the long run, the project will be a win- win situation. More women and youth will be self employed through shared knowledge which will further educate several thousand metrics of plastic from going to landfill.
- Advocacy and introduction of product development from waste
- Collecting raw material by participants
- Basic Training on washing, cutting plastic waste and basic weaving technique
- Designing,, production and skill improvement on weaving
- Training on Marketing, Finance management and Sustainability of the program.